Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sasquatch! 2009

Overall, I've gained a killer tan, some virgin experiences (1st time at the gorge, a special cookie, etc), amongst bruises that will fade... a fonder appreciation for some incredible bands I was fortunate enough to see.

Personal Favorites:

Saturday:
-Yeah Yeah Yeah's have so much incredible energy! The Lead Singer was so crazy onstage, I instantly loved her!
-Bon Iver (Pronounced Bonny-Ver - ver like air with a v)... I always thought his stuff was kind of boring to listen to, but there's just something about his voice in person, some kind of sensitivity his voice possesses that comes alive on stage. "Skinny Love" nearly brought me to tears (gah I am so pathetic), but ah I was just grooving to it.
-Crystal Castles... I thought that they weren't going to be that great in person to be honest, but within the dance tent encaptured me into some kind of dark realm where the music shook me up just as much as the moshing crowd did on the outside. On the album, Alice Glass's voice seems too shrieky but it seems to remain kind of at a boring level. However, live - her voice really emphasized the words with the right loudness and length. Super energetic, so great.
-Passion Pit - unfortunately I was absolutely devastated during this set that I left (for some personal reasons) but let me add that my favorite song by them is "I've Got Your Number"... give it a listen!

Sunday:
-Nine Inch Nails - basically front row, but more second row because people were in my way.. I didn't mind. I was really surprised by the lead singer's versatility. He has a really great voice and is super passionate.
-The Murder City Devils, well the lead singer was very outspoken! Adding to a rocking time, he had some interesting on-stage theatrics (i.e. - kissing male bandmates, saying the music he put on was only for faggots, throwing stuff around)... kept his set really interactive and fun.
-Of Montreal - I wish so badly I had seen more of their set but I didn't leave NIN early enough to get to the Wookie stage. Anyways, they were dressed up in crazy outfits and had a crazy video playing in the background. They made me laugh, I danced, I want to see them again.
-DeadMau5 was really fun, I got tossed around by the crowd though.. definitely makes you want to thrash around to the upbeat music. I hadn't listened to his music before, but I will now if I want to stay up and get energized.

Monday (My FAVORITE day):
-Girltalk.. I saw him at capital hill block party and i wasn't that impressed. but then again, i was absolutely wasted that day.. however, his sasquatch set was so fun! He had people dancing on stage and I was front row and grooving the entire time.
-Chromeo - dj set... the singer wasn't singing live like he was at the capital hill block party but I didn't mind, they kept the set interesting and mixed in so many songs and fun techno beats, I never ever once got bored.

These two sets within two hours of each other made me the happiest girl! I left George, WA floating on a cloud.




hm doesn't look quite so bad in pictures, but it's quite a beaut of a battle scar from battling it to the front row of practically all my favorite artists at Sasquatch 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment